Krzysztof (Chris) Piotr Skowroński, PhD (dr hab.)
Associate Professor at Opole University (Poland), Institute of Philosophy, Department of Practical Philosophy
Book Review Editor, European Journal of Pragmatism and American Philosophy
European Liaison of the Santayana Society
Scientific Affairs Manager, Berlin Practical Philosophy International Forum, e.V.
- Habilitation (on the Philosophical Tradition of American Pragmatism) at Wrocław University, 2014
- PhD studies on philosophy at Wroclaw University, Poland, 1997-1998. Dissertation (In Polish): The Role of the Perfective Values in the Philosophy of Henryk Elzenberg. The advisor: Prof. Leszek Koczanowicz
- MA studies on politology and social sciences at Opole Pedagogical College, Poland, 1989-1993. MA thesis (in Polish): Axiocentrism in Henryk Elzenberg. The advisor: Prof. Bartlomiej Kozera.
- Theological studies at the Catholic Unversity of Lublin, Poland, 1992.
- MA studies in the English Philology at Opole Pedagogical College, Poland, 1984-1989. MA thesis (in English): Passive Constructions in Various Style of English. The advisor: Prof. Piotr Kakietek
Fields of research
- Value inquiries/axiology/philosophy of values
- Aesthetics (ontological problems in literature and painting, cinematic philosophy)
- George Santayana (his philosophy, reception, and continuation)
- Witold Gombrowicz (his literary philosophy)
- Richard Rorty (his neopragmatism)
- Henryk Elzenberg (his philosophy of values)
- American philosophy (pragmatism, neopragmatism, philosophical aspects of Americanization, reception of pragmatism and neopragmatism in Polish philosophy)
- Polish philosophy (in the 20th century)
- Cultural Anthropology and Philosophy of Culture
Fellowships, grants, awards
- Vanderbilt financial support for Berlin Forum conferences in 2016 and 2017
- Rector of Opole University Award, 2016
- International Visegrad Fund, 2014-2015
- Habilitationsschrift stipend, Opole Univesity, 2007-2008.
- Rockefeller Archive Center Grant, Rockefeller University, New York, 2005
- Liberty Fund: San Francisco, 2003; Cambridge (England) 2005.
- Rector of Opole University Award, 2005.
- The Kosciuszko Foundation Fellowship at Indiana University–Purdue University, Indianapolis, IN (IUPUI) and at Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN (15 November 2001-31 July 2002)Visiting scholar
- Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN, (May 2002 – August 2003; May – July 2004)
COURSES GIVEN TO STUDENTS
Aesthetics (Department of Philosophy; Dept. of Cultural Studies)
Philosophy of Culture (Dept. of Philosophy; dept of Arts)
American Philosophy (Dept. of Philosophy)
Contemporary Philosophy (Dept. of Philosophy)
Polish Philosophy (Dept. of Philosophy)
Gombrowicz and Contemporary Philosophy (Dept. of Philosophy)
American Philosophy (in English at Dept. of English)
History of Philosophy (in English at Dept. of English)
Philosophy and Aesthetics (in English at Dept. of English)
Selected Issues on Anthroposphery of Culture (Dept. of Arts)
The Doctrines and Ideas of Contemporary Art (Dept. of Arts)
Editing of Scientific Texts in a Foreign Language (for PhD students at Dept. of Philosophy)
Translations (For PhD Students at Dept. of Philosophy)
Contemporary Polish Philosophy (for foreign students)
Philosophy and Ethics of Politics (Dept. of Political Sciences)
European Thought (Dept. of European Sciences)
Social Philosophy (Dept. of Sociology)
Person, Identity, Dignity (e-teaching for students at the University of Illinois at Springfield)